Wyeast Direct Pitch Activator™ packages are designed for direct pitch into 5 gallons of wort. Activator™ packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when “smacked”, mixes with the yeast and “activates” the package. This kick starts the culture’s metabolism, generating CO2 and swelling the package. This reduces lag time. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy yeast. Although beneficial, activation is not required prior to pitching.
Activator™ packages contain at least 70 billion cells, designed to directly inoculate 6 gallons of must or juice with professional pitching rates.
1. Locate and move inner packet to a corner.
2. Place this area in palm of one hand and firmly smack the package with the other hand to break the inner nutrient packet.
3. Confirm the inner packet is broken. Shake the package well to release the nutrients.
4. Allow the package to incubate and swell for 3 hours or more at 70-75°F (21-24°C).
5. It is not necessary for this package to fully swell before use.
6. Use sanitizing solution to sanitize the package before opening.
7. Shake well, open and pour into 5 gallons of well aerated or oxygenated juice 70-75°F (21-24°C).
Full swelling is not required for use. The contents of Activator™ packages may be direct-pitched without prior activation. Best when used within 6 months of the manufacture date when stored between 34-40°F. Older yeast or yeast stored warmer may take longer to become active or swell.
Activator™ packages will sometimes swell moderately during shipping or later while properly stored. This does not indicate deterioration if the package is less than 6 months old and has been properly handled. This is result of trace remaining nutrients causing culture activity and CO2 production.